Frequently Asked Questions:
How often and for how long should I use the system?
We recommend treating with high frequency no more than once per day. Total treatment time should not exceed 5 minutes per day for the facial area. Treatment of general body area including scalp should not exceed 10 minutes per day. The recommended treatment time will vary depending on your skin type and individual concern(s). More frequent application or applying beyond recommended treatment time will not enhance results and may cause redness. Use the system according to the usage guidelines for best results. High frequency can be drying especially during the winter months. If you find that your skin gets too dry with treatment, we recommend restricting your treatment to once every 4-5 days and following up with a quality moisturizer.
How quickly will I see results?
Some will notice a difference after one treatment (improved skin tone, tightening effect, improvement in the appearance of acne) while others will require more treatments to recognize the full benefits. As is true with any holistic, in-home skin rejuvenation system, results are cumulative and can vary by individual skin type and concern. Each treatment builds upon the last. High frequency can also greatly maximize the benefits of your current creams, lotions and serums by helping them to absorb much more deeply below the dermis than if you simply use them on a standalone basis. If you have been disappointed by the performance of your existing skin care product line-up, use the device in conjunction with them and notice the difference.
Is high frequency treatment safe?
High frequency treatment is considered a safe, easy and gentle skin rejuvenation technology however please review the precautions noted below.
Why can't I see a glow within the high frequency electrodes?
The violet "glow" is very subtle and will only activate when the device is turned on and the treatment bulb is touched to the skin. If you are unable to see the violet glow, take the device to a darkened room and gently touch the treatment bulb to your skin.
Should I use a conductive gel with high frequency?
Using a special conductive medium during high frequency treatment to improve glide is not necessary and will not improve the performance or benefits derived from treatment. For best results we advise applying your favorite skin care lotion, cream or serum to your skin prior to high frequency application (for anti-aging treatment). Those with acne-prone skin can apply their acne lotion or cream following high frequency treatment to avoid redness associated with over-drying the skin.
For acne treatment, what type of topical should be used with the system?
The enriched oxygen molecules produced by the device not only produce a cleansing and purifying effect but they also exfoliate the skin. Because acne creams contain ingredients that can sometimes be overly drying on the skin, we recommend applying them following high frequency treatment rather than before. You may find that you will want to eliminate your acne topicals entirely depending on your skin sensitivity. The best approach is to test your skin's tolerance and reaction to using a topical in addition to high frequency. High frequency will greatly enhance the performance of any acne topical that you choose to use. Try to select products that are effective yet gentle on the skin such as Exposed Skin Care's Acne Treatment Kit. Many of our clients have reported excellent results using this line of acne topicals in conjunction with the Jellen High Frequency system.
For anti-aging treatment, what skin care products should be used with the system?
We recommend that you simply use your favorite anti-aging and acne products. For best results, we recommend using non-oily products with hydrating properties and those that contain peptides. Those with aging skin and acne can equally benefit from following up with a good Hyaluronic Acid Serum Serum after treatment which is non-oily (won't clog pores or cause acne) and boosts the moisture level in your skin at the same time. High frequency can greatly maximize the benefits of your current creams, lotions and serums by helping them absorb much deeper below the skin than if you simply use them on a standalone basis. If you have been disappointed by the performance of your existing skin care product line-up, using the Jellen High Frequency Machine in conjunction with them will result in a noticeable increase in their performance!
Will I feel the electrical current on my skin?
High frequency is a low level oscillating current that can be very soothing, relaxing and revitalizing. A slight tingling or zapping will be felt during treatment. Facial sensitivity rates vary from individual to individual. You can lower or raise the intensity during treatment to suit your personal comfort level by adjusting the power dial on the unit. The device is effective even at the lowest intensity setting so it is not necessary to use an extremely high power level to achieve maximum benefits from treatment. For best results, the key is treatment consistency (i.e. using the system regularly and according to the usage guidelines).
Who is the Jellen Portable High Frequency Machine designed for?
The system is designed for spa and salon professionals in addition to home users with past experience both administering and receiving high frequency treatment. Whether you are looking for a tool to fight the signs of aging, or a one and for all solution to acne breakouts, the Jellen High Frequency Machine is a safe, natural and gentle alternative to expensive cosmetic treatments, plastic surgery and harsh acne topicals.
Can I combine high frequency with other treatments?
Yes. Many customers have realized amazing results by combining their high frequency treatments with many other safe and gentle skin rejuvenating technologies. High frequency works on skin toning rather than muscle toning. If you plan on using muscle toning machines such as microcurrent, galvanic and/or ultrasonic we recommend using high frequency FOLLOWING these applications so that your skin will realize the full benefits of combined treatment. Other treatments such as light based red and blue LED therapy may be used prior to or following high frequency, or depending on your personal preference.
Does high frequency treatment hurt?
No. Unlike other invasive treatments such as cosmetic surgery, high frequency skin care treatment is very safe and does not cause any discomfort or pain. If you are new to the application of high frequency, it may take some time to get used to the gentle buzzing sensation experienced during treatment. Because high frequency can sometimes be drying to the skin (especially during the winter months) we suggest following up with a quality moisturizer following treatment to prevent against any discomfort due to redness. Clients with acne prone skin will want to use an oil-free moisturizer following treatment.
Can I use AHA, Glycolic Acids or other harsh products with the system?
Not recommended! These products are designed to thin out the skin and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles however they can be extremely drying and should not be used in combination with high frequency treatment. On its own, high frequency promotes a natural exfoliation of the skin using enriched oxygen molecules and is a much more gentle rejuvenation process. For anti-aging and the treatment of acne we advise using hydrating products in conjunction with the system rather than harsh drying ones. If you are intent on using AHA or glycolic products with the system, we advise using them sparingly following high frequency treatment rather than before!
Can I use high frequency on my areas of rosacea or to treat spider veins?
We recommend against using the system on skin that is prone to excessive amounts of broken capillaries or rosacea. Having a few broken capillaries or small areas of redness is fine. Simply avoid treating these areas.
Can I use the system during pregnancy?
As a precaution, we recommend avoiding high frequency treatment during pregnancy. If in doubt, please consult your physician.
Can I use the system if I have a medical condition?
Do not use this system if you have a pacemaker or other electrical device. If you have any other medical conditions, please consult with your physician prior to using this system.
What is the system's frequency or output in "cycles per second"?
High frequency facial machines can vary in design and appearance however the underlying principle technology and operational functions are very similar. Most high frequency systems operate at a frequency in the range of 100,000-250,000 Hertz (cycles per second). The Jellen machine operates around 200,000 cycles per second at the highest intensity level setting. The device is effective even at the lowest intensity setting so it is not necessary to use an extremely high power level to achieve maximum benefits from treatment. Remember: the key to success is treatment consistency (i.e. using the system regularly according to the usage guidelines).
What is the actual wattage level of the machine?
The power level and output strength of a high frequency machine is ultimately measured by the high frequency oscillation rate (measured in Hertz), NOT by the level of wattage. The Jellen Portable High Frequency Machine operates at a low level of only 3 watts. Portable high frequency facial machines that operate at a relatively LOW wattage level (1-5 watts) and high oscillation rates (>100,000+ Hz) are typically of much higher quality, more efficient at producing high frequency current output, and will last much longer than higher wattage units which are almost always very inexpensively manufactured. Portable high frequency machines operating at HIGH levels of wattage (10+ watts) have to work very hard to generate the same electrical current output and are more prone to internal damage and early coil burnout due to overheating.
What is the difference between the orange and violet electrodes?
The Jellen Portable High Frequency Machine comes complete with 3 high frequency electrodes in your choice of orange or violet. The electrodes are filled with either 1) argon gas which produces a blue or violet glow, or 2) neon gas which produces a reddish or neon orange glow. Traditionally, violet (argon) electrodes have been used by skin care professionals to treat acne prone skin. It is important to note that the violet electrodes do not in any way, produce harmful UV rays as the light that they emit does not fall within the skin damaging ultraviolet spectrum. The orange (neon) electrodes are generally used to treat aging skin because they are said to direct more warmth to the treatment area which improves product penetration, promotes blood circulation and encourages cellular turnover. For the treatment of thinning hair and to promote healthier scalp conditions, we recommend using the violet electrodes to cleanse the area and rid of follicle blocking bacteria and the orange electrodes to promote blood circulation.
How should I clean the glass electrodes?
The best way to clean your high frequency electrodes is with a soft damp cloth. Rubbing alcohol may instead be used to remove stubborn residue such as oil. If using the system to treat multiple clients, always thoroughly disinfect electrode using rubbing alcohol after each use to avoid spreading infection.
Do you offer more detail on high frequency treatment techniques beyond the scope of the included treatment guide?
The Jellen® Professional Portable High Frequency Machine is intended for licensed professionals and home users with a fair amount of prior high frequency experience. As a courtesy, we have included a supplemental instruction booklet with the system which is designed to provide general treatment guidelines for different areas of the body and skin types. Should you require additional detailed high frequency treatment information beyond the scope of the included user guide, we would advise consulting with a licensed esthetician.
What is the warranty period?
The warranty period starts 1 year from the date you receive the product.
The system includes detailed usage instructions per desired treatment area. As a general guideline:
- Thoroughly cleanse your skin and gently pat dry. The elimination of dead skin cells is the first step in any effective facial treatment program. To properly prepare the treatment area to take maximum advantage of high frequency application, we would recommend steaming for a few minutes using a facial steamer or exfoliating using a quality microdermabrasion machine.
- Apply desired skin care product (to avoid over drying the skin, it is recommended that those with acne-prone skin apply desired topical acne cream following high frequency application).
- The machine comes with three interchangeable high frequency electrodes (mushroom, point and comb) available in your color choice of either orange (neon gas) or violet (argon gas). These delicate glass electrodes will produce a subtle glow when gently touched to the surface of the skin. We have found both electrode colors to be equally effective in treating all skin care concerns. Select desired electrode attachment and gently insert into the body of the wand. Plug the wand into power outlet and switch on.
- Slowly turn the power control dial on the end of the wand unit to the lowest intensity setting. The wand will now begin to quietly "hum" as it begins its high frequency wave action. When touched to the surface of the skin, the glass electrode, in combination with the high frequency current generated by the system, will produce a very safe, therapeutic neon-orange glow as well as purifying, enriched oxygen molecules with a likeness to the pleasant scent of fresh clean air. It is perfectly normal for the interchangeable electrode to take up to 30 seconds to produce a steady neon glow (Tip: if you are unable to immediately see the subtle "glow", try standing in a darkened room and gently whisk the wand against your skin).
- Maximize the effectiveness of your favorite skin care cream or serum by lightly sweeping the high frequency wand over your skin in a circular or zig-zag motion for about 1-5 minutes depending on area of treatment.
- Be sure to the lowest intensity dial setting during the first few days of initial use. When you no longer feel the intensity of the high frequency current, continue to work at a slightly higher setting. Continue to increase the intensity setting with each treatment until you reach your personal comfort zone. This system is effective even at the lowest intensity setting so it is not necessary to use an extremely high power level to achieve maximum benefits from treatment. The intensity level that you are comfortable with will be dependent upon your skin type and sensitivity. The system should be used in accordance with the included usage guide at all times.
- When not in use, ensure that your professional-grade high frequency wand and included glass electrodes are securely stored in the protective travel case provided.
Before and After Pictures
- Not recommended for use with AHA, glycolic acid or alcohol-based products
- Avoid areas of broken capillaries, spider veins and rosacea.
- Avoid wearing metal jewelry during use to avoid shock.
- Never operate unit if bulb is cracked or broken
- Avoid using near water or combustible substances.Do Not Use Internally (i.e. In Mouth, Nose, Etc).
- Avoid using near the center throat area (thyroid)
The Jellen® Portable High Frequency Machine is warranted with normal use in accordance with the guided instructions, against original defects in function for a period of one (1) year from date of purchase. Warranty service may be obtained by returning the appliance to us, shipping prepaid, along with original proof of purchase and a check for $20.00 USD to cover return postage and handling costs. The Warranty does not cover mechanical or cosmetic damage resulting from accident, misuse, neglect, normal wear and tear, or improper voltage use. Please refer to our Return Policy.